17 July 2008

Week 9, Thing 20

YouTube, TeacherTube
Day 4 of My Orientation Wiki --- See two posts ago... includes a segment on Internet safety so I had the great idea of trying to add a TeacherTube or YouTube video segment that I could use that would cover all of my safety tips regarding sharing personal info, publishing and using reliable information. I saw some interesting video, some not so interesting video but what I really saw was a lot of people taking their first step into this medium. It was quite interesting. It was also a little scary. What is scary to me is not the medium and not the videos but its use in the educational setting. I viewed a video of a man talking about Internet safety with only a cowboy hat on. I viewed cute Internet Safety presentations created by elementary students. I found a few safety cartoon videos. I may use this one!




I surfed the famous safety websites looking for videos and I found lots but only a few that met my needs and some about Internet predators even scared me. (Sounds like typical research to me but a lot more graphic? Is wading through good, bad, and ugly video going to be acceptable to parents?) Surprisingly, even in TeacherTube anyone can post anything in there as well. I would not have been comfortable having an administrator view some of the things I saw these teachers doing. As a last resort I turned to a subscription database, Discovery Education Streaming. Quality was better but content didn't suit my needs. Looking back at ALL the video resources I have available to me I think the produced videos that we have sitting on our shelves in the library provided for me (at least with this topic and how I want it addressed) the best resource for my needs but unfortunately cannot be copied into my wiki due to copyright guidelines. Speaking of copyrights YouTube was in the news last week on the same issue... the amount of videos copied and posted without permission and indisregard to copyrights. I agree this is a totally cool medium but the old saying goes...we get what we pay for. You got to wade through a lot to get to the gems or let others find it for you. Fox news has paid analysts who view all new video posted. You know, come to think about it...I rarely have seen bibliographic citations under a video that has been posted into a blog. What about all of the other tools that we have used in this program, shouldn't they be cited?

JumpStart
If I didn't have a Mac with Imovie this online tool would have been amazing to me. The fact that they offer such an online tool for free is still quite amazing. The fact that they show the members uploaded clips in addition to the completed video is even more interesting. It looks like users are even given the opportunity to remix and combine video clips with the clips of others. Once again the opportunities for use of this tool are limited to the imagination of its users. Tagging of video seems to be more important than in traditional printed resources. (Does anyone remember the search engine that indexed the words in graphics somewhat like Google Images?) Seems like the "artistic" titles of many of the social sharing videos are of little help when determining content leaving locating the video heavily dependent on non-librarian and non-consistent keywords/tagging. I also often wonder how long webtools that offer services as good as this...will remain free.

No comments: