17 July 2008

Week 8, Thing 19

Library Thing......
Oh no....another cool tool and no time to play around.... Two years ago I used this with HS students who loved to read and they went bonkers. It has certainly evolved since I used it last. Until now I was selfish and only looked at this tool in regard to my personal collection of books...which really is non existent because I always give my books away after I read them. This revisit got me into a newsroom again and what interesting topics these book lovers are talking about. My biggest book loving friends are not librarians and will love this. Sometimes it is hard to see the potential in something and I missed this website's worth the first time I used it. I wondered about LibraryThing and small libraries.... my mother lives in a retirement community with a growing library with no organization..perhaps this will help them to know what they have. They ran out of shelves long ago so I don't think it will help organization. I have some middle school students who would eat this up....I will have to do some more exploring first.

No links in this post to my library..... I only read for fun in the summer. Janet Evanovich continues to make me laugh out-loud so she tops my reading list this month. Yes, I do some intellectual reading but she is also my hero because she got my non-reading daughter to read last summer....my daughter started 5 books in the Plum series after me and beat me in finishing the series and stole #14 when I brought it home last week.

No comments: