10 June 2008

Weeks 1 & 2: Life-Long Learning & Blogs

This blog was created in conjunction with a 23 step program designed to educate librarians on the many facets of the Web 2.0. Once again I am anxious to explore the parts of the research side of the web I have not already explored. Everyday I find something new to inspire me and this course should prove to be no exception. Already today I viewed an excellent online presentation created by the Public Library of Charlotte and Mecklenburg County that provided me with a succinct set of 7 1/2 habits of life-long learners. You can view this presentation at this link. This short slide show has provided me with some excellent modification ideas for my 7th grade orientation program in the fall.

7 1/2  of My Life-Long Learning Habits
  • Begin with the end in mind  ...Been burned so many times by not keeping this in mind I am pretty good with this but am still learning from experience.
  • Accept responsibility for own learning  ...I'll admit it, if I am interested in the topic I will do this but will have to be pointed in the right direction, if not.
  • View problems as challenges  ...I am still working on getting this point across to my students.  I rarely give up.
  • Have confidence in yourself as a competent life-long learner.   ..I enjoy learning that is why I am still taking courses despite having already met Act 48 regs.
  • Create your own learning toolbox.   ...I am always looking for new tools. Thank goodness many of the online ones are free.
  • Use technology to your advantage.  ...I am trying but need to take a break.
  • Teach and Mentor Others.   ...This is the challenging one for me.  I need to learn how guide more than teach.  
  • Play  ..This one is my worst.  The first day of summer and I am looking at these lessons. 

Oh, If only I looked this good and could travel this far. I liked creating this aviator at Yahoo. Made me think about what represented me. Although, the name probably doesn't really apply in my middle school library, I think I will stay with Mrs. B. Thanks for the few minutes of fun!








Commentary: Amazingly, I am creating another blog. I don't know if the world is ready for another one of my blogs. This one will probably be more like what a blog should be used for than any of my others. It is rare that I just get to just air my thoughts. Talking about thoughts...if you have been around a long time like myself you can remember that publishing was only for the rich and famous...today due to Google and others ...every one can publish whatever they want for free. Did you notice I referred to everyone? Yes, due to the open access of most libraries, people who do not have computers at their homes can publish on websites like this one. Wow...have times changed!

No comments: